Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Route 66 Trip -- Day 1 - Sort of

This trip down Route 66 has taken me years to plan. Route 66 was decommissioned in the 80's and no longer appears on a regular road atlas. So it requires special guidebooks to navigate the portions of the Mother Road that are still navigable.



Emily Priddy wrote a free online book called "Route 66 for Kids". I used it as the starting point for our travel plan. I also did my own research to make sure our trip includes plenty of adult-friendly activities too.
The boys originally got the idea to travel Route 66 from the movie CARS. Once I started researching the trip, I found out there is a large community of lovely folks helping maintain the charm of Route 66. I'm looking forward to meeting some of them along the way.

So last night after Jacob got done with work, we set out. Our intention was to get a head-start on our official vacation.



We drove I-40 West over the Tennessee mountains and stopped in Kingston, TN.



As our adventures unfold, I will post the good, the bad & the ugly. Stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment